Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 8 - Hatyai to Nakhon Si Thammarat (205.24km)

Day 8 - 9th July 2008
205.24km

For this section of the ride, if I had the capability, I would have loved to ride all the way to Surathani and save a day. But that would have probably added an additional 100km to my already "painful" 200km. So I decided to stick to my orginal plan and ride to Nakhon Si Thammarat. I would live to not regret the decision.
From Hatyai, I headed to Phattalung. Couple slopes to get over. Was wishing for some motorized transport. Wished I had a powerful 600cc motorbike with me to get me over these hills. But seriously, it was not too tough and just before Thung Song, I turned right towards the highway 403 which leads to highway 408. Highway 403 will lead me to Nakhon Si Thammarat from the southern end of town.

It was in this section, during my numerous breaks, I met a Thai cyclist. I was at a shop, drinking a bottle a coke and refilling my waterbottle when a cyclist past me. He caught a glance of me and waited for me down the road. I stopped to say hi. I guess he was kinda training. Although instintively, I wanted to follow him at his speed. I refrained from doing so.

This is the first time I'm in Nakhon Si Thammarat. This a a very real Thai town. Did not see many tourists in town. And at the time I arrived, lots of students just finished school and traffic was heavy. Lots of tut tuts, motorcycles and cars. Initially, I overshot the town and ended up at a fish market... I figured out I had overshot when the buildings and signs faded away as I continued to cycle pass. I took out Lonely Planet, Thailand from my panniers and checked the map. To be extra sure, I checked with one of the business owners in the market where the hotel was. I was pointed in the direction back into town.

I made a U-turn and kept my eyes peeled out for any signs pointing to a hotel. Finally I found Thai Lee Hotel. It was about 420 baht a night. I was not allowed to bring the bicycle to my room but the staff took good care of my bike.

Upon entering the hotel, my bike was wheeled into the security room inside the lobby and placed securely in the room. I just tried my luck by checking if I could bring my bike to the room, but it was not allowed. I was satisfied with the assurance given by hotel staff and pretty impressed by the the urgency of staff in making sure I was comfortable.

It cost be 420 baht for an airconditioned room with hot water and cable TV which is excellent value for money.

Anyway Nakhon Si Thammarat has some amazing wats. One of the biggest wats in the country are found in this province. There was a very good food centre behind the hotel. Dinner was settled there and it was back to the hotel to recover.




No comments: