Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 14 - Phetchaburi to Bangkok (147.45km)


Day 14 - 15th July 2008


Bangkok..... 2 weeks to reach my destination.


Had my final "mechanical" problem with my bike. A puncture in Samut Songkhram. There was absolutely no shade along the stretch where I could fix my bike so I went to a "factory" along the stretch and seeked permission to use the benches and shaded area to fix the puncture.


The employees were curious and asked where I was from. After I had fixed my puncture. They offered me a ice cold water in a mug which I appreciated very much. They even offered to top up my water bottle for the final stretch. Bid them farewell and thanked them for their help.


Just a couple of kilometres before central Bangkok, stopped at a Petronas station. So far I had spotted 3 in Thailand. I needed to get myself orientated in Bangkok. My previous experience riding in Bangkok with my motorbike caused me much "distress". The sois and signs can cause some confusion and the occasional one way traffic at certain times will see you going down the wrong flow of traffic.


Whipped out my map and checked with the people at the station where I was was, how much more I had to cover. At this point, I did not know where I was going to stay. I had some options. I could stay at the over-rated and touristy Khao San near the democracy monument. I could stay at Silom near Lumpinee park which would put me close to the bicycle shop in Soi Sarasin where I need to head to to pack my bike for my flight back to Singapore.


I somehow managed to reach Central Bangkok by checking with police officers, shop owners and even tourists along the road by asking them where was Lumpinee park. I passed Hualumpong station and reached the national statium. Anyway I knew there were a couple of decent hotels near the sois near the national stadium so decided to find soi 1 near the national stadium and got myself a room in an inn at a great deal. 700 baht per night. It's a little known backpacker area near the heart of the shopping district.


Completed my long ride.... Singapore to Bangkok. 2180km. 14 Days.


3 comments:

Budi-san™ said...

Hey man, congrats on the ride! I wish I could do the same. You have greatly inspired me. :) thanks.

-Budiman, Singapore

photo-madness said...

hey, im very interested to cycle to bangkok too, would be glad if u cud offer me some pointers. coz im really inexperienced, but im determined.

Anonymous said...

what next dude? this is simply beyond words to define the greatness

pal