Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day 1 - Singapore to Mallaca (263.24km)

Day 1 - 2nd July 2008
263.24km

This is the 3rd time I'm doing the Mallaca route in a single day. The first time was back in 2002 sometime in April with Bikeaid and the next one was slightly later in 2002 as well with a friend. In both the 1st & 2nd trip, we had to ride at night which was not too safe in Malaysia as the street lamps are often not lid or were not installed. In both cases, the lights installed on our bicycles were not bright enough to light the road ahead forcing us to ride slowly & cautiously.

In anticipation of this, I decided to start my ride early in Singapore. I set off from home at about 5am and arrived at the causeway (Johor Bharu) at 6am to clear immigration. After passing the causeway, I kept left hugging the coast part of the way until reaching Skudai where I made a left turn towards Pontian Kechil. Once I reached Pontain Kechil, I used Highway 5 all the way until Mallaca while passing major Malaysian towns such as Batu Pahat & Muar.


In the previous trips that I had mentioned, I had used Highway 1, all the way to Ayer Hitam before making the left turn towards Batu Pahat, Muar and then finally Mallaca. Stayed a small hotel in Melaka Raya for about RM$66. The owner allowed me to bring the bicycle into the room.
For dinner, took a walk in town by heading to past the Studthuys to grab some indian food on a fresh banana leaf.

In this trip, I had skipped Ayer Hitam and went straight towards Batu Pahat. A major advantage of this route is that it's as flat as a pancake.


No comments: