Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 10 - Surat Thani to Chumpon (195.89km)


Day 10 - 11th July 2008

195.89km

It's back on the main Highway to and I'm now on my way to Chumpon. This town is the marker for me which will signify the end of the deep southern end of Thailand and the start of the upper gulf of Thailand.

I've not mentioned this before but all the towns are off the main highway. To get to Chumpon, I had to divert off the main highway and get to the roads leading to the town. Comparing this to Malaysia, where the main highway runs right through the towns, cities and states. The design of the roads in Thailand are very different. I guess it's a whole lot more better as the main towns are kept away from traffic which could disrupt the feel of the town.

I briefly got lost at Chumpon and made a big loop around town. After checking with a nurase who was waiting for a motorcycle taxi at a nearby hospital, I got my bearings right and found my way to the a hotel listed in the Lonely Planet guidebook. I checked into the Morakot Hotel. It was listed in the guide that this hotel is located behind a motorcycle dealership. And true enough, the lobby was actually behind the motorcycle shop.

The staff were friendly and it was about 350baht for a room with air con and cable TV. Bicycles can be brought to the room. Rooms were spotless.

No comments: