Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 11 - Chumpon to Prachuab Khiri Khan (180.37km)



Day 11 - 12th July 2008

180.37km

This the ride I had been waiting for. I've been to Prachuab Khiri Khan in 2006 when I rode my motorcycle here. So far, it's the least touristy town I've encountered in Thailand. I was looking forward to visiting this town again. I enjoyed the variety of food in this town and it's proximity to the beach and it's beautiful bays. The images still linger around in my mind.

It was uneventful ride all the way to Prachuab. Passing the narrowest point in Thailand. I spot signs pointing me to Myanmar. I'll love to go there one day but not at this moment.

About 35km away from Prachuap as I riding at "breakneck speed" to the town I spotted 2 recumbents by the shoulder with flags of Australia & Thailand on them. At first I rode past, then I spotted that one of the riders called me. I turned back and stopped for a chat. It was good chatting with them as it brought things back into perspective. I was riding distances which were a bit too long and not stopping to really appreciate my surroundings. Thanks to Lee for also writing in Thai several words which would allow me to find suitable accmodation. Although I was nearing the end of my trip, the list will certainly be useful for me in the future when I do return to Thailand. Visit their website to know more about them and their ride http://www.pcw.iinet.net.au/

After my chat with Mal & Lee, I needed to get to Prachuab Khiri Khan while Mal & Lee were looking for accomodation in a guesthouse in the area.

Just before sundown, I managed to get to Prachuab Khiri Khan. In my previous trip, I used to stay at the Hudaloh Hotel. It was the only "real" hotel in Prachuab. I saw a group of Thai motorcyclists at the hotel. At the moment, I was really missing my motorcycle. Anyway, I enquired with the staff if any rooms were available. I was surprized that the price of a room had increased. 2 years back, a room facing the bay Ao Prachuab cost 600 baht and a room in the basement cost 400 baht. I decided to check out other accomodation around the vicinity.

Along the same stretch, there is another hotel. Suksant Hotel. I checked if there were rooms. I had the option of choosing a fan or air-con room. I decided to go with the fan rooms which was a good choice as the rooms faced the Ao Prachuab. Beautiful Views. The hotel's lift was also long enough for me to simply wheel in my bike into the lift without any effort.

I decided to stay another night in Prachuab and explore this beautiful & quiet Thai town.

No comments: