Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 6 - Alor Star to Hatyai (141.06km)

Day 6 - 7th July 2008
141.06km

Leaving the capital of Kedah, Alor Star. I have 2 options. I can head to Perlis and cross the border at Padang Besar or I can stay put in Kedah and head to Bukit Kayu Hitam.

I have crossed into Thailand several times via Bukit Kayu Hitam when I was riding my motorbike. You may be surprized to know that I have never flown into the Thailand before. This time, just to try a different border (I'm a border fanatic). Another border I have crossed to get into Thailand is Sungai Kolok (where there have been many terrorists activities). This border is accessed via the state of Kelantan. Just as I write this, I just read that there has been another Muslim teacher killed in this part on Thailand. The 100th Muslim Teacher to be killed. The Teacher was riding his motorbike.

Fortunately, I was far away from this border this time on my bicycle and I decided to try the Padang Besar instead of the usual border at Bukit Kayu Hitam. Anyway Bukit Kayu Hitam is a popular border, the North-South Highway (E1) ends at this border. I'll visit that border soon. Just not now.

I had to say goodbye to highway 1 and say hello to highway 7. This highway is going to lead me all the way to Thailand.

Heading towards Perlis, I pass the capital, Kangar. Somehow, I did not see anything significant in the capital of Perlis. But the roads were quiet and rice fields all the way down the road. Lots of twists and turns out of Alor Star along Highway 7 but fortunately the roads were marked guiding me.

As I approached the border, the first things I noticed were the pickups and motorbikes bearing Thai registered licence plates. I was getting closer to completing a major milestone of the trip. Reaching Thailand. Closer to the border, roads got a bit bad. Lots of people and businesses cramped up together, reminded me of Johor Bahru back home. But this was not Johore Bahru.

At the border I first cleared Malaysia immigration, the malay officer asked "Macha, Enkai Poringa?" In Tamil, that translates to "Brother, Where you going?" So I told him I'm going to Bangkok. The guy bid me farewell and wished me luck. Next it was Customs. In the local paper, The Star on the day, there was an article of two retired 60 year guys who were cycling to Beijing. So the customs officer stopped me and asked me where if I was going to China and where I was from. Told him I'm not cycling to China and that I'm from Singapore. No hassles and smooth going in Malaysia.

I finally cross over to Thailand. Requested for an embarkation card from the duty immigration officer and filled it up and go my stamp on my passport to enter Thailand. There was little human traffic at this border. Seemed to be mainly vehicles which were involved in trading that were active at this border. The officer came out for a chat. He spoke pretty good English.

After crossing the border, It was the beginning of a new highway. Highway 4 in Thailand. Thailand's roads are usually in excellent. Unfortunately, this particular section of road leading me to Hatyai was not what I had expected. This is probably because of the frequent movement of heavy vehicles from the agricultural areas to the main roads.

As I rode, I had to find someplace to eat to fuel myself. I stopped at a roadside stall and spoke to the lady in broken malay. She understood. In Southern Thailand, people can speak both Thai & Malay fluently. I got my rice, a bit of chicken and some vegetables. I also got myself a bottled coke.

In Thailand, the culture is very much different from Singapore or Malaysia. The people are very reserved but when approached are very friendly.

As I arrived in Hatyai, my first stop was the bicycle shop. I needed to get my hands on a bottle. I did not mention this before but on my 2nd day in Klang, I had dropped my bottle in the toilet bowl. I was disgusted and it was a really bad day and threw the bottle in the dump. I survived all this way by purchasing bottled water in 500ml bottles. Not a very environmentally friendly way.

At the bike shop, bought my bottle for 100 baht. Pumped up my tires and got my bearings right. I've been to Hatyai numerous times but the roads can always confuse you. The owner drew me a map and got me on my way. I thanked him for his help and cycled to President Hotel.

This is the 3rd time I'm staying in the Hotel. My first time was back in 2007 when I went to Thailand for Songkran. Prior to 2007, I usually stayed at Lee Garden but the rooms are getting worn and everytime I went to Lee Garden, the plumbing is usually choked. President seems to be a better mainained hotel.

I checked it, they allowed me to bring my bike to the room. Now, if you're a solo traveller, the bellboy will ask you. "Do you want girl?" This is so common in practically all the hotels I've stayed in Hatyai. Beyond Hatyai, this is not common. For a first time visitor, Hatyai might give a "wrong" perception of Thailand.

Anyway after refusing the offer, proceeded to unpack and to review my ride and plan for the next leg in Thailand.

Will be resting in Hatyai for another day.

No comments: