Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 5 - Taiping to Alor Star (189.77km)


Day 5 - 6th July 2008
189.77km

Leaving Taiping, I now head towards Alor Star. This is a critical point of the ride as it's my last major stop in Malaysia before Thailand.

Alor star is the capital of Kedah.

To get to Alor Star, I had to pass the state of Penang (mainland). For part of the way, I was riding on a very well paved expressway (E12). This section of the road runs parallel to the coast. As highway 1 was non existent. I had to use this section of road. This road was smooth and fast. From the expressway, I had a great view of of the island of Penang. I could see the tallest building in Penang (Komtar) from the mainland. I took the opportunity to take some photographs something which I had found challenging while riding alone.

After passing Penang, it was back onto the ordinary highway which will now bring me to Kedah. This section was slightly hilly. But I was motivated to reach my destination and was keeping a steady pace. There are markings on the right side of the road showing the destination and mileage left to the destination. every kilometre which I passed gave me a sense of relief that as long as I kept on going, I will reach my goal (just like life).

Upon reaching Alor Star, I whipped out my lonely planet guide to check out the local hotels. The guide mentioned that hotels in Alor Star are not too good value. I stayed at the Grand Crystal in a obsure corner of Alor Star. It cost RM$125 a night. Rooms were big but compared to the other hotels I stayed in Malaysia, it was indeed slightly overpriced. But they did allow me to bring my bicycle to the room which is one of the most imporatant things when you're going bicycle touring. It is behind Sentosa Shopping Centre which is somewhat similar to Sim Lim Square in Singapore. But Sentosa seems to sell mainly mobile phones.

I'll finally be in Thailand tomorrow.

No comments: